After six years of crisis and four years of new EU economic governance measures and Troika policies, it is high time to assess their devastating results. Transnational Institute (TNI), Corporate Europe Observatory (CEO) and Transform!, with the support of several European networks and organisations1, are organising a People's Tribunal on EU Economic Governance and the Troika on 15 and 16 May in Brussels.
The Tribunal aims to analyse and expose the EU policy measures taken in response to the crisis, by presenting the social consequences of these measures in countries all over Europe.
The Tribunal will bring together a dozen witnesses from different European countries. In their testimonies, they will set out the social consequences of the EU's crisis policies related to an issue specific to their own country. For example:
- Spanish anti-evictions campaign PAH
- Greek neighbourhood solidarity initiatives
- Portuguese dockworkers
- German centre on precarious labour and child poverty
- Attac Hungary on the rise of neo-fascism
The testimonies of the witnesses will be complemented by analyses of the broader European context in relation to the EU's crisis policies.
- Jan Willem Goudriaan (EPSU) will cover the impact of EU policies on public services
- Fintan Farrell (European Anti Poverty Network) will talk about the effects on poverty rates
- Ronald Janssen (ETUC) will discuss the consequences for labour rights and child poverty
Furthermore, the European context related to debt, democratic principles and austerity policies will be part of the debate.
A conclusion will be provided in the form of a verdict presented as a synthesis of what has been said in the presentations by the witnesses and the rapporteurs. This will be done by a judges panel which includes economists Miren Etxezarreta and John Grahl, and Walter Baier from the Transform! network.
Marco Buti, Director-General of DG ECFIN at the European Commission, has also been invited to provide a defense (presence to be confirmed).
The People's Tribunal on EU Economic Governance and the Troika will take place on 15 May from 14:00 to 17:00 and on 16 May from 10:00 to 17:00. Live streaming will be arranged to move the discussions beyond the room in Brussels.
democratic socialism (IDS)
Romania Petru Sorin Dandea, Cartel ALFA
To cover the costs of these actions, as well as other investigative work and outreach activities, CEO has launched a call for donations. We welcome your contributions, however big or small. Thank you for being a part of this struggle.
- 1. The European Attac Network and several of its national chapters, Stichting Weerbaarheid en Solidariteit, CADTM, Globalproject, European Anti Poverty Network (EAPN) , Alter Summit